Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Motivators

Wednesday is drawing to a close and I have been thinking a lot today about things that keep me going during the week. While I am fortunate enough to never dread going to work, I do still have trouble getting out of bed on those 4:00 a.m. mornings. I often have to spend a few moments inside my own head, recalling and reflecting upon the things that help me going. Since exercise usually equals happy people, it's easy for me to remember that I enjoy all of the people I interact with during the day.
I was listening to an interview earlier today, with a trainer named Todd Durkin, and he mentioned a quote I liked a lot:

"Motivation is external, inspiration is internal"
~Simon Lawry

This wonderful statement is so simply and beautifully true; I thought about it all afternoon. 

As a fitness trainer, I get about 35-45 minutes a day to help push, encourage, and motivate people that come in for their workout. Inspiration is what brings them there every day. Something, perhaps several somethings, have inspired them to go after a healthier, better life for themselves. The best part about this, is that it is contagious. It motivates others around them to seek the same. I see this all the time, as members of my gym are often closely followed by friends, family and coworkers. It is a huge part of what motivates and inspires me each day! These two things may be separate, but are so closely intertwined I am not sure one could exist without the other.

This all made me think of the butterfly effect. It seems to me that this is often associated with something negative; a chaos theory. What if we apply it to a smaller scale and perhaps ask instead, what happens if the butterfly flaps its wings and helps the one next to it learn how to fly?
This also made me think a lot about the energy we put out into the world, and how each day, we have a choice in this.
I believe each person has something exceptional to offer the world, so here is a chance to share some of what makes you, my readers, unique. What motivates and inspires you each day? I would love to hear your comments and thoughts! If one person, just one person, reads and relates to your comment, that is one life that you may have helped change for the better.

~Namaste

1 comment:

  1. My main motivation and inspiration is my son. I want to be better and feel better so that I inspire him to do the same. I believe in karma , and I think that the more positive you put out into the world the more you may get back. I have my down days where all motivation just ceases to exist, but those are the day I tell myself to get off my butt and make something happen. You can't just sit around doing nothing and complaining when things don't go your way. Especially in this day and age, and economy, there aren't many people willing to just hand you opportunities in life. I want to be my sons inspiration so that he can archive whatever dreams or desires he may have .

    ReplyDelete